Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chapter 31

There was a great little Italian restaurant close to Jon’s apartment, and they decided to get a bucket of home style spaghetti and meatballs. Jon ran in to get it, since he frequented the place and knew the owner, and when he returned to the car with the bag of food the aroma made Keira’s mouth water. She hadn’t realized how hungry she was.

They continued on to his apartment. She asked where to park, and he said, “You don’t need to park. Valet.”

Oohhh, of course you have valet parking, I should have known. Jeez, don’t forget us little people, okay?”

Jon smirked at her. “Are you kidding me? I love you little people. You’re all so impressed by me.”

She rolled her eyes. “First you tell me I’m intimidated by you, and now you think I’m impressed by you? I hope your apartment has big doorways, otherwise your huge head might not fit through them.”

He laughed. "Haven't gotten stuck in one yet."

They left her car with the valet and Jon led her to an elevator that opened up right into his luxury penthouse apartment. Her eyes widened as she tried to take it all in at once: the vaulted ceilings, shining hardwood floors, huge arched windows. Sunlight poured in. The furniture was a mix of overstuffed couches and chairs and glass and metal tables. It was masculine and sparsely decorated. “Wow, Jon,” Keira murmured. It was a little different from the modest home he’d grown up in, that was for sure.

“Come on, I’ll show you the upstairs,” he said, and took her hand to lead her up a center staircase. When they reached the upper level, she gasped. There were more windows than there were walls, and the views of the city were absolutely breathtaking. He brought her out onto one of the terraces and she struggled not to act completely awestruck. “Want to eat out here?” he asked.

“Oh my God, yes. I can’t take my eyes off of this view.”

The terrace was designed for entertaining, and there were several lounge chairs and patio sets. He set the bag of food on one of the tables and said, “I’ll be right back.”

While he was gone, Keira walked to the edge of the terrace. Holy shit! I can see for miles. She lost herself for a few minutes in the grandeur of New York City. The view made her feel small and insignificant, and for some reason the sensation wasn’t entirely unpleasant.

She jumped when Jon snuck up and put his arms around her from behind. “Like what you see?” he murmured in her ear. She leaned back against him, snuggling her head into the crook of his neck. Somehow it just felt right at that moment. “It’s an unbelievable view. You’re so lucky,” she said.

“I know I am. I don’t know why, but I am.”

She turned to face him, and was surprised to see an odd mix of pride and vulnerability in his eyes, as though he was afraid she was going to judge him for living in such a beautiful, luxurious apartment. She told him, “I love this place. You’ve earned it, and you deserve it.”

He gave her a crooked smile and said, "I'm glad you're here."

"I'm glad to be here," she said honestly.

He pulled her in for a hug, then said,“We should probably eat before the food gets cold.”

She nodded in silent agreement and followed him to the table. He had changed into a pair of faded jeans and a brown Philly Soul t-shirt, and had brought a bottle of wine, two glasses, plates, napkins and utensils up from his kitchen. She sat down in one of the comfortable, high-backed cushioned chairs that surrounded the table and was pleased to discover that it rocked. Jon spread the food out on the table. Along with the spaghetti and meatballs, there was a loaf of fresh Italian bread and cubes of butter. They sat on the terrace for two hours, drinking wine and eating their fill of pasta and bread. It was the most relaxing, enjoyable evening that Keira had spent in ages, and she knew that it had more to do with the company than it did with the spectacular surroundings.

“So whatever happened to Erin?” Jon asked, leaning back in his chair. The sun was starting to get low in the sky and the temperature was cooling off a bit.

Keira laughed. “Erin married Jason right out of college. They have four kids together now.”

Ahh, I’m not really surprised. I always pictured Erin as a mother.”

“Do you remember the night we all had at Captain Jack’s?” she asked.

He groaned. “Now there’s a night I’d rather forget.” One winter, when they were 17 years old, he, Keira, Erin, and their friend Carl had gone to a seedy bar in New Jersey. Captain Jack’s was infamous among the younger crowd because they never checked IDs. They got in with no problem and spent the night tossing back shots and beer. The night had ended with Erin puking her guts out in the parking lot, and Carl driving them into a snowbank at 40 miles an hour. They’d had the presence of mind to take pictures of themselves posing in front of the car up on top of the snowbank before running away, and the next day they’d all had to pool their money to help Carl get his car towed out of the snow.

Keira laughed. “That was fun, though. That’s the kind of stuff I miss about being so young.”

Jon finished his wine and refilled both of their glasses. “You trying to get me drunk?” she teased.

“Nah. I had you drunk last night, and look what good that did me. I slept on your couch, remember?”

She giggled. “I’m sorry. I’m just trying to do the right thing.”

“And that is…?”

“Not cheat on Rob.” And not get involved with a rock star, she thought but didn’t say. All of a sudden she shot straight up in her chair. “Oh SHIT!” she shouted.

He raised an eyebrow in question. “What?”

“I’m supposed to see Rob tonight! What time is it?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was hoping she would forget about Rob? LOL! Cute story...hurry up with some more chapters!

Alina said...

Oh no! She really wants to see Rob this evening? My God, she can't be true (though she promised it)..

I'm already waiting for a new chapter ;)

Anonymous said...

Loved the chapter! :)

Sheena

Opester said...

Jon smirked at her. “Are you kidding me? I love you little people. You’re all so impressed by me.”

She rolled her eyes. “First you tell me I’m intimidated by you, and now you think I’m impressed by you? I hope your apartment has big doorways, otherwise your huge head might not fit through them.”

This really had me grinning from ear to ear. Just what I was thinking, but Keira said it so eloquently and I love Jon's good-natured, rather than jaded, sarcasm.